Feeling the need for some Chinese Barbecue Pork Belly? Sweet and sticky little nuggets of caramelised perfection? Thought so. Check out the recipe below and enjoy!
Char Siu Pork Belly (serves 2-3)
700g pork belly, rind removed and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- Mix together all the ingredients except the pork and put in a small saucepan on medium heat. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix the pork belly chunks and marinade well and put in the fridge to stand overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Heat a large frying pan on the stove to medium high temperature (no oil needed as the pork is already quite fatty).
- Add the pork belly to the frying pan, reserving the remaining marinade, and fry it off until nicely browned on all sides.
- Transfer the pork to an oven dish, dab some of the reserved marinade on generously, cover with tin foil and put it in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour until nice and tender.
- Heat the grill up, and transfer the pork to a grill rack, adding more marinade.
- Grill the pork on all sides, stopping frequently to add more marinade, until the edges are nicely caramelised.
- You’re done. Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!
Hope that you enjoy this dish. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments. 😊