These Ghost Pepper Fireballs are just the best thing to impress with at your next bbq event. Who am I kidding? Take any excuse you can muster up and just make these, event or not! They are just the best thing ever. Let me tell you what you’re looking at here: spiced chilli meatballs, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in a layer of onion, then wrapped in bacon and basted with chilli jam. I mean, come on! Make these now. You can thank me later 😉
Ghost Pepper Fireballs (makes 6-8 lemon sized fireballs)
250g beef mince
250g pork mince
1/3 cup of your favourite bbq sauce
1 tsp Ghost Pepper flakes
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 big onions
6-8 1cm squared blocks of cheese
1 large pack of streaky smoked bacon
1 jar chilli jam
- Take all the ingredients except the onions, cheese and the bacon and mix them together in a bowl. (Use gloves! That Ghost Pepper is powerful stuff!)
- Flatten out a handful of the mince mix in your hand, insert a block of cheese in the middle and wrap the cheese with the mince into a round ball about the size of a small lemon.
- Repeat until you have used all the mince and cheese and have 6-8 stuffed meatballs.
- Peel the onions and slice them vertically halfway in order to carefully remove the first 3 layers so that they retain their round onion shape.
- Insert your stuffed meatballs into the onion layers (1 meatball per onion layer).
- Wrap the onion in the streaky bacon (1 vertically and 1 horizontally). Secure with a toothpick.
- Put the fireballs in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 30 minutes. (Or, if you’re confident, cook on indirect heat straight on the bbq!)
- Remove the fireballs from the oven and baste them all over with the chilli jam.
- Put them under a hot grill, turning regularly, until all the bacon is nice and crispy.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Hope that you enjoy this dish. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments. 😊￼