One of my favourite treats in the world has to be Jamaican Chicken Patties. I could just as easily have this for breakfast as I could a midnight snack. Though not traditional, I prefer to make mine with puff pastry. The inside, however, is pure Caribbean sunshine. Spicy and delicious, I defy you not to love these!
Jamaican Chicken Patties (makes at least a dozen)
3 chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 or 2 Scotch Bonnet peppers (depending on how how hot you like it)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups of chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp Pickapeppa sauce
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tbsp Jamaican curry powder
1/2 tsp allspice
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
A few rolls of ready rolled puff pastry
1 large egg, beaten
- Cook the chicken breasts in the oven for 20 mins at 180 degrees celsius.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, chop finely and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and Scotch Bonnets to the pan and cook until softened for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, stock, Pickapeppa sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, onion powder, curry, allspice, bay leaves, salt and thyme and stir in together.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated (roughly 20 mins).
- Discard the bay leaves and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add the breadcrumbs and stir in thoroughly to combine.
- Roll out your puff pastry and use a bowl as a template for cutting the circles into your pastry.
- Spoon a large tablespoon of the chicken mix onto half of the pastry circles and fold over, sealing the edges by pressing down with the end of a fork.
- Repeat until you have finished all the mix.
- Lay the patties on baking paper in a baking dish and preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Brush the patties with the egg wash and prick each of them three times with a toothpick.
- Put them in the oven for 22 mins.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Hope that you enjoy this dish. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments. ￼