As pasta sauces go, this has got to be one of my favourites. Savoury, spicy deliciousness. This is a dish that requires a bit of love and patience, but boy is it worth it!
Chicken and N’duja in a rich and spicy Tomato Sauce (serves 4)
Ingredients for the N’duja Sauce:
50g N’duja, casing removed
2 slices of bacon, finely diced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup white wine
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 cups chicken stock
Instructions for the N’duja Sauce:
- Dry fry the n’duja and the bacon over medium heat until the oils have started to release. Mash the n’duja with the back of a spoon, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Turn heat to medium high and add shallot, garlic and oregano. Fry until fragrant.
- Add in white wine and vinegar and simmer. Allow the wine to reduce by half.
- Stir in stock and simmer for about 30 minutes until there is not a lot of liquid left and the sauce has thickened a bit.
- N’duja sauce is now complete and can be set aside whilst you make the pasta sauce.
Ingredients for the pasta sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
3 chicken breasts, diced
50g n’duja, casing removed
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bunch basil, leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
2 red chillies, finely chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes
Instructions for pasta sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat and then add garlic, basil stalks and chillies. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and fry until chicken is coloured on all sides.
- Add the n’duja and break into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Fry until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the basil leaves and reduce the heat. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Now add in the n’duja sauce you made earlier and stir together.
- Serve with your favourite pasta (I chose fettuccine) and enjoy!
Hope that you enjoy this dish. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments.