One of the recipes I tend to make again and again is this Chicken in Black Bean Sauce. Savoury and delicious, this is guaranteed to put a big smile on your face!
Chicken in Black Bean Sauce (serves 4)
6 tbsp black bean sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
4 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil
800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into thin strips
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
2 onions, each cut into 8 wedges and petals separated
1 small handful of green beans, trimmed and cut in half
6-8 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
1 1/2 tbsp water
- In a bowl, mix together the black bean sauce, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar and pepper.
- Heat a wok on high and when hot add in 1 tbsp of oil. Stir fry the chicken until it loses its pinkness. Remove chicken from wok and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in wok and add vegetables. Stir fry for a few minutes until slightly softened but retaining crunch.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and stir fry for another minute.
- Return chicken to wok along with sauce mixture and stock.
- Mix together the cornflour and water and then add to the wok and stir until the sauce thickens up.
- Serve on rice or noodles and enjoy!