Anyone who knows me knows that I am an absolute curry fiend. There are thousands of different curries out there and I make it my business to try as many of these recipes as I can get my hands on. So it is with quite a bit of confidence that I come to recommending this curry to all of you – it really is super delicious! I served this curry with chilli rice, Punjabi gobi and kachumber salad, but you do you. Enjoy!
Kalee Mirch Cha Chicken (Herbs and Black Pepper Chicken Curry), serves 4
800g chicken thighs, diced
1 large potato, diced
2 cups fresh coriander
1/2 cup fresh mint
6-7 green chillies
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
A handful of cashew nuts
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
4 tbsp oil
4 bruised green cardamom pods
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
100ml plain natural yoghurt
Salt to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Blend the 2 cups of coriander, the mint, coconut, cashews, chillies and mustard with 1/3 cup of water in a food processor until finely puréed.
- Heat the oil in a pot and then add the whole spices and fry off for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the onions and fry until just turning brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, the chicken and the potatoes and turn the heat to medium whilst browning the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add the powdered spices and stir continuously for a few minutes.
- Turn heat to lowest setting, add the yoghurt and keep stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Add the green paste, 400ml of water and salt to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the lemon juice and garam masala.
- Serve with rice and sprinkle with the fresh coriander leaves.
Hope that you enjoy this dish. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments.