There are two things that elevate this soup to next level status – firstly, use a good homemade chicken stock and secondly, use whichever sausage you particularly love. Do those two things and this dish will sing. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage Soup (serves 4)
250g of your favourite sausages, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 an onion, diced
1/2 a courgette, diced
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely diced
1/2 cup orzo pasta
6 cups of homemade chicken stock
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp garlic Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
- Heat a couple of tbsp of oil in a soup pot on medium high heat.
- Brown off the chopped sausage. When this has been done, transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Add some more oil to the pot and add the onion, garlic, celery and courgette. Sauté until tender.
- Add orzo and sauté for 2-3 minutes until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the browned sausages, to the pot.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the orzo is cooked through.
- Serve with your favourite buttered bread and enjoy!